The Group's responsible purchasing policy
"A responsible purchase is one that:
- includes provisions in favour of the protection or promotion of the environment and social progress and fostering economic development,
- takes the interest of all the stakeholders concerned by the purchase into account,
- serves to make "smart" savings closely adjusted to needs and encouraging the frugal use of energy and resources,
- includes each market phase and eachphase in the life of the product or service."*
*National action plan for sustainable purchasing, 2015-2020, French Ministry of the Environment, Energy and the Sea.
The purchasing function, vital to business operations, is a strategic resource that can be used to boost a company's economic performance. Responsible purchasing helps to control the supply chain through the management of new risks and also by seeking out opportunities to create value.
The ecotaxes involved are no small matter for the Group given that Crédit Agricole S.A. consumes over 17,000 tonnes a year.
99% certified responsible paper
The Crédit Agricole Group as a whole has implemented a Responsible Purchasing Policy to respond to major future issues in its operating territories and contribute to the Group's overall performance. The policy is an integral part of the Crédit Agricole Group Code of Conduct.
For us, the Responsible Purchasing Policy aims to favour the purchase of a good or service that takes into consideration both the exact need and the economic, social and environmental aspects of the response to this need, while maintaining balanced relations between the company and its suppliers in respect of their reciprocal rights.
The policy is part of a committed and responsible approach and aimed at mutual progress and innovation.
It applies to all employees involved in the purchasing process and to our suppliers.
It comprises an action plan with five main focuses:
- Ensure responsible behaviour in supplier relations
- Contribute to the economic competitiveness of the ecosystem
- Include environmental and social aspects in our purchasing
- Improve on a lasting basis the quality of relations with suppliers
- Integrate the Responsible Purchasing Policy in existing governance systems
Crédit Agricole S.A. has obtained "Responsible Supplier Relations" certification from the French Ombudsman ("Médiateur de la République") for a three-year period. The certification was renewed at Crédit Agricole S.A. in 2015 and 2016. The certification is granted to organisations having demonstrated lasting and well-balanced relations with their suppliers.