View articleDossier of the week
“Foire aux vins” wine promotions see wine-lovers bubbling with excitement2020/09/10
Crédit Agricole in Italy
Crédit Agricole Italia banking Group, via its commercial banks, operates in 11 Italian regions which account for 73% of the population and 80% of GDP. Through specific positioning built around the Customer, the Group is a customer-focused retail bank covering all market segments.
Crédit Agricole Italia (CAI)
Crédit Agricole has been present in Italy, the second Group domestic market, since 1972. It has been deploying a Universal Proximity Banking strategy since 2007 with the acquisition of Cariparma and Friuladria, followed by Carispezia in 2011.
The Proximity Banking activity in Italy includes the historical networks of the Gruppo Bancario Crédit Agricole Italia (“CA Italia”) namely CA Cariparma, CA Friuladria and CA Carispezia (the latest was fully merged with CA Italia in July 2019), and the three banks (Cassa di Risparmio di Cesena, Rimini and San Miniato) acquired in Dec. 2017 and successively merged with CA Italia.
All the networks operate under the brand Crédit Agricole, recognized as a strong stable international bank on Italian market.
CA Italia is present in 11 Italian regions which represent 73% of the country population and generating more than 80% of national GDP.
Recognized for its customer-centric positioning, CA Italia is a Proximity Bank covering all market segments (Private Individuals, Entrepreneurs, SMEs, Corparate, Agri-Agro, Private banking) with a wide and integrated product offer.
All the Group business lines are present in Italy: consumer finance, leasing and factoring, corporate and investment banking, asset management, investor services, wealth management, Insurance.
In 2019, CA Italia confirmed structural growth based on a sustainable model resulting in a significant increase of market share, a dynamic customer acquisition and a strong financial performance with a continued decline of cost of risk (-8,7% vs 2018) resulting in a 10 year net result high.
Italy : 60.8 million inhabitants
2,1 M customers
Total asset : 65 bn€
- Higher net result on Italian market in absolute value over the period 2009-2019;
- Development of Le Village by CA in Milan and next opening in Parma;
- New customer-centric positioning « La banca al passo con la tua vita »;
- Launch of the crowfunding platform CrowForLife;
- LEED Platinium Certification for CA Green Life, the new headquarters of Crédit Agricole Italia.
Moody’s: Baa1, stable (2019)
Source: BPI/Fin – Data at 31/12/2019
MTP 2022 Strategic ambition: sustainable development in line with the global Group strategy
- Develop a model based on proximity to local economy and customers, promote sustainable development, support entrepreneurship in particular Agri-Agro sector;
- Boost customer acquisition;
- Develop a distinctive and differentiated model of service to meet specific needs of customers, reinforce the distribution of high value-added products (Wealth Management, insurance, trade finance, advisory);
- Improve operational performance: digitalization of key processes using agile method to increase efficiency and client impact, simplification of legal entities, retail network optimization;
- Close collaboration and continued expansion of synergies with other Group business lines.
- Company name : Crédit Agricole Cariparma SpA
- Shareholder at 01/04/2018 (Source Orion database):
- Crédit Agricole Group : 86,5% (Crédit Agricole S.A. 76,5%, Sacam International 10%)
- Cariparma Foundation: 13,5%
- Display Crédit Agricole Italia’s organizational chart (May 2020)
Crédit Agricole Italia Management
- Giampiero Maioli - Managing Director and CEO of Crédit Agricole S.A. Group activities in Italy - Member of Crédit Agricole S.A.'s Executive Committee;
- Roberto Ghisellini - Deputy CEO (retail) - CA Cariparma
- Olivier Guilhamon - Deputy CEO (corporate)
- Gianluca Borrelli - CEO - CA CariSpezia
- Carlo Piana - CEO - CA FriulAdria
- Stanislas Ribes - Head of BPI Supervision & Control
- Letteria Barbaro-Bour - Supervision Head - Italy
Universal retail banking in Italy
Italy is the Crédit Agricole Group’s second domestic market.
All of the Group’s business lines are present in the country: commercial banking, consumer credit, corporate and investment banking, asset management, insurance, and services dedicated to wealth management, which complement the whole range of products. Close collaboration and developed synergies between the commercial network of banks and business lines makes it possible for Crédit Agricole to bring a vast and comprehensive range of offers to Italy, serving all economic players.
Key economic indicators
Population (in millions)
Population growth rate
Nominal GDP (in USD billions)
Real GDP growth, annual (%)
Nominal GDP growth (%)
GDP per inhabitant, current USD
National saving rate
Household savings rate
Budget deficit/GDP (%)
source : FMI, ECO / Crédit Agricole S.A (Data at end 2019)